We all know that having a home that’s both organized and clean is an absolute joy. Unfortunately, teenager bedrooms overwhelmingly tend to be neither. A parent may feel that when they try to ask them to clean it all the time, their teenagers tend to ignore them and not do it at all.
Getting a room clean is hard. But keeping a room clean is even harder. Here are some tips on keeping your room tidy without having to prioritize cleaning too much.
Keep the floor clear
When you first get home from school and go to your room don’t just drop stuff on the floor. Place items where they belong when you first get home so that you don’t create work for yourself later.
Don’t collect dishes in your room
If you do any midnight snacking in your room don’t just leave a dish on your bedside table. Put it in the kitchen sink at the very least. This will prevent bugs in your room as well.
Hang up wet items
Hang up dirty wet towels to dry and then place them in the hamper. This keeps mold and mildew from growing in your towel.
Reasons to strive to keep your room clean include:
*The room will feel much bigger.
*You’ll be able to successfully find whatever it is that they’re looking for.
*Your clothes will no longer be wrinkled.
*You won’t have to worry about bugs as much.
*You will no longer feel shame when having friends over to hang out because of your messy room.
There are many steps you can take to make it easy to keep your room free of clutter.
Have a catchall
Consider placing a large-sized container right in the middle of your bedroom. From there, pull everything out from underneath their bed, and if you have a spare laundry basket, you should also place this in the room as well so that you can place any dirty clothes into it.
Set a cleaning day
Sit down and set a date and time that you will clean your room. Setting aside time to do this and get it taken care of will prevent your parents from having to ask.
While this can seem like a fight that you feel you’ll never win, there are thankfully some useful ways that you can get your teenager to clean their room without them putting up so much as even a single fight.
For starters, here are a few simple rules that you can insist that they follow:
- No unnecessary items on their floor, as this will help to prevent any accidents from occurring.
- No food and/or dirty dishes anywhere in the bedroom, which will help to prevent insects.
- Any clothes or towels that are wet should always be placed into a dirty clothes hamper as a way to help prevent the growth of both mold and mildew.
Additionally, there are also some good reasons that you can offer as to why your teenager should keep their room clean. These include the following:
- Their room will feel much bigger mentally
- They’ll be able to successfully find whatever it is that they’re looking for
- Their clothes will no longer be wrinkled
- There will be less germs to worry about
- They will no longer feel uncomfortable having friends come over to hang out with them
Now comes the fun part – preparing to get your teenager to clean their room. Here is the process that you should follow in order to ensure that they do the job themselves:
- Consider placing a large-sized container right in the middle of their bedroom. From there, pull everything out from underneath their bed, and if you have a spare laundry basket, you should also place this in the room as well so that they can place any dirty clothes into it. Then, place a vacuum cleaner and other cleaning supplies in the bedroom before walking away and letting your teenager handle everything from there. Let them know how important having a clean room is, as well as what it is that you expect from them
- Sit down with your teenager and agree on a set date and time that they will clean their room rather than telling them right before they leave to go visit friends that they need to get the job done. By sitting down with them, you will ensure that they will make an actual effort to clean. Additionally, while they work, allow them to play their favorite music
- Inform your teenager that you have specific standards in terms of them cleaning their room; however, allow them to have control over everything else. This includes choosing décor, rearranging the furniture, etc
- If worse comes to worse, you may end up having to take more extreme measures with your teenager. This could include keeping their bedroom door shut or even taking it off of the hinges until they decide that they’re going to clean their room
We are Bates Cleaning Service, a reputable and environmentally friendly residential and commercial cleaning service company in Austin, Cedar Park, and surrounding areas! Whether you need a one-time service or consistent cleanings, contact us at (512) 887-8507.