It’s certainly no secret that we all like to do everything we can to keep a clean home as much as possible. However, trying to keep up with this type of task can be stressful at times. But it doesn’t have to be! Thankfully, there are all sorts of little ways in which you can keep your house clean consistently. A lot of the stress from a messy space has to do with it piling up over time and becoming overwhelming.
Doing little jobs to keep the home clean instead of letting it pile up prevents the house from being overcome with mess. But easier said than done, right? The key is making these small tasks into habits so you don’t even have to think about it. In fact, the more you do it, the easier the job will get.
Here are five tips to get you started on keep your home beautiful out of habit:
1) For starters, begin by composing a list of all of the cleaning-related tasks that you know you’d like to get done on a regular basis.
- Prioritize the rooms that bother you the most when you’re busy and stressed. Is it the living room because that’s where you work? The kitchen because of dish pile-up? Figure out what matters most to you.
- For instance, figure out what the top three cleaning tasks from your list should be and stick to completing only those on that particular day. As for the rest, you can determine exactly when those can be done later on, as they may not need to be completed right away.
2) Make it a habit to keep your most basic cleaning supplies close to the location where you know you will need to use them.
- For example, if you want to keep your bathroom clean, make sure that you keep that space stocked with supplies such as a toilet scrub brush, a microfiber cleaning cloth, and your preferred multipurpose cleaner.
- Throw dish towels and cleaning rags in with the laundry regularly so you always have clean cloths to clean with.
- This will make the cleaning process so much easier rather than you having to track down the cleaning supplies that you will need by venturing to multiple areas of your home.
- Make it a habit to perform tasks such as doing a quick wipe-down of your sink, mirror, etc. whenever it’s needed so that you can cut down on how often you will need to do a more thorough clean of the space itself.
3) Try to get your entire family involved in the cleaning process.
- If you have children, teach them the importance of picking up after themselves, such as having them clean their room, putting their shoes away when they come inside, placing their dishes in the dishwasher, etc.
- If you live with other adults (a spouse, family members, or roommates), everyone should be doing their part. Not everything needs to be split exactly down the middle, but most people have chores they like or dislike more. Having each person do what they least dislike regularly will cut down on buildup.
- When everyone does their part, the whole house stays tidier. As time goes on, they will start to get into the habit of helping out without having to be reminded.
4) Set aside a specific amount of time to clean a specific area of your home prior to going to bed at night.
- The amount of time doesn’t need to be more than 10 or 15 minutes.
- The best way to ensure that you don’t go over this amount of time is to invest in a timer or use a timer on your phone that you can set, then stop right when it goes off. You can set it up on your phone as a daily recurring item at the same time.
- This amount of time should be reserved for only the top cleaning priorities, such as cleaning your kitchen, folding laundry, clearing away clutter, etc. Anything that can be done quickly prior to going to bed at night is always good to complete.
4) Keep an eye on anything that needs to be cleaned as you go from room to room in your home.
- If you see something that’s out of place that can be put away quickly, that’s one less thing you have to do over the weekend.
- Having a dedicated shoe rack and clothes rack in the front entryway can encourage the family to not leave them on the floor and furniture. Keep everything within reach to encourage their use!
- The key is to cut down on all the small tasks that pile up over days or weeks.
We are Bates Cleaning Service, a reputable and reliable residential and commercial cleaning service company in Austin, Cedar Park, and surrounding areas! Whether you need a one-time service or consistent cleanings, contact us at (512) 887-8507.